My Story

In 1999 I was doing some head rolling exercises and popped a cyst on my thyroid which suddenly swelled into a lump. I was referred to an endocrinologist. I had an ultrasound, then a nuclear medicine scan, and a fine needle biopsy of the lump. It was diagnosed as a cyst and I was told to see my doctor if anything changed. In 2006, I went to the doctor because the lump was making me cough. It was ultra-sounded, blood tests were taken and were all 'within normal limits' and I was told 'its a multi nodular goiter' and to come back if there was any change in size. From then on, nothing changed, I saw my doctor regularly, blood tests were within normal range.

Then in 2013 , I lost a bit of weight which was an incredible struggle (15 kgs) and the lump seemed to show up a bit more. I finally went to the doctor at the end of 2013. The lump was ultra sounded and found to be calcified, plus there were multiple calcified lymph nodes the size of marbles. Christmas 2013 got in the way, labs and private X-ray clinics were closed so it wasn't until late January 2014, that I had an ultrasound guided fine needle biopsy done on 2 thyroid nodules and a lymph node. All were positive for abnormal cells. This is my story from then.
If you found my story useful , could you please leave a comment or a question? It does feel that I am speaking into an empty room right now!

Monday, April 14, 2014

Radio active iodine

In order to kill off the remaining thyroid cells, I had radioactive iodine treatment. I was admitted to hospital for 2 days and only allowed out when my levels of radioactivity were low enough that it was safe to go home.
The room at the hospital has lead lined walls and an en suite bathroom. There is a TV (which needs a card which you can't leave to go and buy), you are pretty much on your own from the moment you take the radioactive iodine capsule. There is an ante-room where visitors cover their clothes in plastic aprons, gloves and paper overshoes. Nurses pass your food through the door on disposable plates, you take your own medication, no-one disturbs you to do 'obs' like blood pressure or pulse readings. Its all very peaceful and a chance to catch up on sleep or reading or watching videos.

I recommend you bring your cellphone, iPad and a portable DVD player and DVD's. To prevent contamination of the iPad and phone, you put them inside ziplock bags and they are taken out at the end to be tested to see if they are radioactive. If they are, they have to stay at the hospital in a special storeroom for 6 weeks, so it is worth using the bags. You can also use latex gloves when handling the DVD player to keep it clean.

If you want to bring clothes from home, bring your old tatty stuff that you can throw away. I was very cold and brought a horrible old sweater which had shrunk. I threw it in the rubbish bin at the end. I also threw away old undies and old threadbare pygamas. no-one will see you in the old clothes. Keep your good clothes separate for going home in. I was also asked to bring socks or old slippers and wear them all the time to prevent transferring radioactivity from my feet to the floor.

The Radio-iodine capsule is brought to the room in a lead lined trolley called a Porta-Pig

The room is cleaned afterwards with a special spray (who knew this was possible!)

Washing machine soap?
Before you take the capsule you are given anti nausea medication. When you take the capsule, you are asked not to eat or drink anything for 2 hours, then you can eat and it's better to continue the Low iodine diet if possible. Watch out for the bread, as the hospital just gives a low salt diet.  Most meals at the hospital I was at, gave 2 slices of brown bread with every meal, even the one before I was given the radio-iodine. Shop bought or commercial bread in New Zealand has iodine added. The other thing I was given was red jelly, another no-no on the low iodine diet. I chucked it in the bin and ate the lunch I had brought from home.

You are asked to drink lots of water, and to eat sour lollies or chew gum. This helps the excess iodine leave your body via your urine.  Some of the iodine goes to your salivary glands which can be damaged by the radioactivity so to keep that moving through, keep chewing and drinking lots. Shower frequently to wash the sweat off your skin.

I felt a bit nauseated, but some of that might have been from eating too many sugary or Xylitol lollies. Some of which I may never be able to face ever again!

The radiation physicist will come and measure the amount of radiation coming off you , and will tell you when you are safe to go home. Usually this is 48 hours later but can take longer if you have a higher dose. I went home after 48 hours and had to sit in the back seat as far away as possible from the driver and we went outside of rush hour to make it a quicker trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment